COVID-19: Updates & Information
Last update: April 68 2020 at 10:25. This page is being regularly updated. Please be patient with us.
As of Thursday, March 12, 2020 the government of the Czech Republic declared a State of Emergency in the Czech Republic for 30 days to prevent the coronavirus spread. On April 7, 2020 the State of Emergency has been prolonged: it will last until April 30, 2020. State of Emergency is a situation of national danger or disaster in which the government suspends normal constitutional procedures.
What does it mean:
1) Coming to the Czech Republic
- Quarantine for everyone who has come back to the Czech Republic from abroad.
- No entry for foreigners/tourists to the Czech Republic.
- For further information see this website or contact pobyty[at]mvcr.cz.
2) Going abroad
- International transport such as trains, buses and boats is cancelled: it will still be possible to travel by car up to 9 people. Planes are being restricted, please contact the airlines.
- Czech citizens are banned to travel abroad from the Czech Republic.
- Foreigners/tourists can leave but will be without the possibility to return during the state of emergency.
- to visit family members
to shop groceries, pharmaceutical and medical products, drugstore products (no other shops open)
- between 08:00 – 10:00 a.m. the above mentioned shops are open only for eldery people 65+ years old
closure of all bars and restaurants, only take away possible
- to ensure the neccessities mentioned above for another related/close person
to medical providing services, including vital accompanying of another related/close person
to visit authorities if this cannot be postponed to a later date
When necessary to go out it is obligatory to have the face covered with a mask or a scarf.
You can also contact the Embassy of your country for more information.
Online teaching activities should be available. Please check your VSE email regurarly for information form the lecturers.
It is the VSE ultimate effort to enable all Exchange students finish their courses online. More details will be shared by the respective lecturers. Please be patient and check your VSE email regurarly.
Psychological Counselling runs online during this intense time. Do not hesitate to reach out to the psychologists, should you feel you need support provided by a specialist. For more information and availability, please update yourself here.
COVID-19 disease is caused by Coronavirus SARS-CoV-2. Its incubation time is up to 14 days (average of 5 to 6 days). It is transmitted especially in contact with infected people. The main symptoms are fever above 38°C, dry cough and shortness of breath. Visit www.who.int for more information.
See the information leaflet by the Ministry of Health:
Important Contacts and Links
- Nonstop help line of the National Institute of Public Health: +420 724 810 106 or +420 725 191 367
- Emergency: 1212 (in case you do not feel well)
- For questions related to migration please contact pobyty[at]mvcr.cz
- Ministry of Interior of the Czech Republic
- Ministry of Foreign Affairs: Questions and answers in relation to the coronavirus in the Czech Republic
- Government of the Czech Republic
- Ministry of Health Czech Republic: COVID-19 situation and recommendations.
- I returned to the Czech Republic from abroad. What should I do?
- In view of the current epidemiological situation, the Ministry of Health requests all citizens returning from abroad to contact their doctor in the Czech Republic who will order a mandatory 14 day quarantine. It is necessary to stay at home after the return and to consult the doctor (or the hygiene station in their region if the doctor is not available) by TELEPHONE, or call the emergency number 1212 (in case you do not feel well).
- If you stay at the the dormitory, please let them know as well.
- Will it be possible to finish the semester online from home?
- It is the VSE ultimate effort to enable all Exchange students finish their courses online. More details will be shared by the respective lecturers. Please be patient and check your VSE email regurarly.
- Will the academic calendar be extended?
- The teaching period and the examination period do not change, the Spring semester will run according to the original schedule. The teaching period ends on May 15, 2020 and the examination period runs from May 18 to June 26, 2020.
- Can I leave the Czech Republic and come back when the situation settles?
- We hope the borders will reopen soon, however, it depends on the development of the situation.
- I returned home. Will the dormitory return the rest of the rent?
- VSE management is waiting to see how the situation with closed borders and universities will develop. Please wait for more information.